Kenilworth Friday abandoned

0
Kenilworth Friday abandoned

KENILWORTH FRIDAY ABANDONED

Following on from the NHA press release issued late on Thursday 30 April, the Racing Operators confirm the following :-

(NHA release below)

The Kenilworth race meeting on Friday 1 May has been abandoned.
 
A decision on the Turffontein race meeting on Saturday 2 May will be made by close of business on Friday 1 May. In the event that the Turffontein meeting is not able to take place, the three feature races (SA Derby, SA Oaks and Horse Chestnut Stakes) will be moved to Sunday 10 May in a last ditch attempt to stage them.
 
In similar vein, a decision on the ensuing race meetings from Sunday 3 May onwards will also be taken the preceding day pending government feedback.
 
Entries and declarations for future race meetings will proceed as scheduled pending a decision – so that we are ready to resume immediately should the green light be given to do so.
 
Further changes to the fixture list have been made as follows on the basis that the Kimberley race meetings on 11 and 18 May have now officially been abandoned :-
• the Fairview meeting on Friday 8 May has been moved to Monday 11 May
• the Kenilworth meeting on Saturday 9 May has been moved to Friday 8 May – leaving Greyville stand alone on Saturday 9 May
• the Scottsville meeting on Saturday 16 May has been moved to Monday 18 May – leaving Fairview (East Cape Derby day) stand alone on Saturday 16 May
Obviously all entries and declarations continue to be made for future race meetings on the basis that racing is given government approval to resume.

 

NHA Press Release

SUBMISSION TO GOVERNMENT TO RECOMMENCE RACING ON 1 MAY

The National Horseracing Authority has not received any feedback from Government to date on the status of the above submission. On reading the legislated Lockdown regulations that become effective on 1 May, under Table 1 Alert Level 4, “the transport of live animals”, clarity is being sought and it is our understanding that the movement of non-producing livestock, needs further amplification.

The Chief Executive contacted the Ministers of the Department of Trade and Industry and the Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs and was advised that the decision now resides with the Coronavirus Command Council and the Head of the Disaster Management Centre, Dr Mmaphaka Tau. The Chief Executive has made contact with the Head of the Disaster Management Centre and is now awaiting a directive. As we are aware, the Coronavirus Command Council have received in excess of 77 000 applications and from 800 businesses, and understandably they are inundated with numerous requests. There is no definite timeline given as yet for feedback and on that basis the carded meeting for 1 May at Kenilworth Racecourse will be abandoned. The status of other carded meetings would be advised on a 24 hours’ notice timeline, in the hope that we may get a response before the next carded meeting. The Racing Operators will advise the process going forward from an administration perspective.

Until we have a response in writing, text or even verbal, the NHA is not in a position to provide the necessary feedback to the Racing Operators to recommence Racing.

In saying the above, the NHA can assure all stakeholders that we shall continue to engage such that a favourable outcome is obtained as soon as possible.

Vee Moodley

Chief Executive

 

Views: 3265

Comments are closed.